Apologies for the morbid title. I hope we all live long and prosper. Of course I do! While we’re at it, we should eat lots of kale. Or so I’ve been told.
(Yes, that’s a tiny book. My thumb appears humongous in comparison. It was a gift from Lex. I didn’t realize that kale is the secret of life until I got to page 34. I had a hunch, but now I know for certain.)
I posted this first kale salad recipe over two years ago and it’s still my favorite. I make it all the time. I bring it to dinner parties and without fail, I’m asked for the recipe at least once. So, I think it’s worthy of a re-post – Happelsauce’s very first, as a matter of fact.
I never measure the ingredients so I don’t have exact quantities for the dressing. I encourage you to tinker and find the balance you desire. (Sounds like a life lesson I’m still learning…) Also, it is worth noting that raw kale needs love. In this first recipe, it should be kneaded, smushed, or scrunched so it loses its toughness.
Tali’s Ultimate Kale Salad with Maple Sesame Dressing
- de-stem a bunch of curly kale and cut or tear into bite sized pieces
- put in a bowl and shower lightly with kosher salt
- knead the kale, smushing it with your hands–this will start to release some of the water and make it softer
- add chunks of avocado and thinly sliced red onion, to taste
- whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar (about equal parts), a dash or two of sesame oil, a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a glug of real maple syrup (no Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin, thankyouverymuch), freshly ground black pepper to taste, and toss
- sprinkle with slivered almonds (or the nut of your choice) and toasted sesame seeds
And now, the second recipe. It’s a new one that I made last week. It’s damn delicious, simple and spicy. It rivals the first. It might be the new ultimate…
Minty Kale Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
(Adapted from Food52.com)
- 1 large bunch of lacinato (dinosaur) kale, chopped very small
- 1 cup fresh mint, minced
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, peanuts), chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- Toss the chopped kale, chopped mint, cucumber and the nuts together.
- Put the peanut butter, warm water, garlic, rice wine vinegar, pomegranate molasses, soy sauce, minced ginger, sesame oil and red chili flakes into a blender and whirl away at high-speed until everything is smooth.
- Toss a little more than half of the dressing with the salad. Taste. Decide if it needs more, then dress accordingly.
Take note and try today…or at least before you die.